Well this is the story:
The four of us in the little house are all sleeping, when at 3:37 in the morning our bunk beds start to shake. It takes me a bit to figure out what´s going on, and after about 10 seconds I said with urgency in my voice, relatively calmly but loud enough so the others could hear, ¨earthquake!¨ I remembered the earthquake training that mom had gave me long ago, and I sprinted for the door frame. I knelt down because with the strength of the shakes I didn´t feel I could stand. They say it lasted just two and a half minutes but of course it felt like twenty. It was pretty scary. The sound of the earth grumbling and things falling off of shelves and tables... it was horrible. The worst was the front door banging and shaking as if Goliath was trying to brake in. But after the matter of the fact, after about half an hour of my body still shaking, recuperating and digesting what had taken place, it was pretty cool. Until in the morning listening to the radio we found out that it was bigger in Concepción and a lot of people had died and been left homeless.
Last night we had a Family Home Evening with the mission. I know that revelation is real. About three weeks back, the president sent us all some papers, telling us what to do before, during, and after an earthquake. Also telling us to prepare an emergency backpack with a list of necessary items. I had begun to gather up the things mentioned there but had not finished when the earthquake hit. But thanks to the list, I had a flashlight for the two nights we went without light. I know that God talks to his servants and that he sends revelation. There was a special spirit in the FHE we had last night. I really feel like part of a family here. I know that this is the true church, that God directs it. That He restored it through His prophet Joseph Smith. That He loves us. That we are His children. I know that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. That through His atoning sacrifice we may be saved, thanks to the restoration of the church and all the sacred ordinances of His holy priesthood. I´m grateful that I am safe, to be able to give testimony to the humbled people of Chile after this earthquake (Luke 21: 11, 13).
Love,
Elder Jewkes
The four of us in the little house are all sleeping, when at 3:37 in the morning our bunk beds start to shake. It takes me a bit to figure out what´s going on, and after about 10 seconds I said with urgency in my voice, relatively calmly but loud enough so the others could hear, ¨earthquake!¨ I remembered the earthquake training that mom had gave me long ago, and I sprinted for the door frame. I knelt down because with the strength of the shakes I didn´t feel I could stand. They say it lasted just two and a half minutes but of course it felt like twenty. It was pretty scary. The sound of the earth grumbling and things falling off of shelves and tables... it was horrible. The worst was the front door banging and shaking as if Goliath was trying to brake in. But after the matter of the fact, after about half an hour of my body still shaking, recuperating and digesting what had taken place, it was pretty cool. Until in the morning listening to the radio we found out that it was bigger in Concepción and a lot of people had died and been left homeless.
Last night we had a Family Home Evening with the mission. I know that revelation is real. About three weeks back, the president sent us all some papers, telling us what to do before, during, and after an earthquake. Also telling us to prepare an emergency backpack with a list of necessary items. I had begun to gather up the things mentioned there but had not finished when the earthquake hit. But thanks to the list, I had a flashlight for the two nights we went without light. I know that God talks to his servants and that he sends revelation. There was a special spirit in the FHE we had last night. I really feel like part of a family here. I know that this is the true church, that God directs it. That He restored it through His prophet Joseph Smith. That He loves us. That we are His children. I know that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. That through His atoning sacrifice we may be saved, thanks to the restoration of the church and all the sacred ordinances of His holy priesthood. I´m grateful that I am safe, to be able to give testimony to the humbled people of Chile after this earthquake (Luke 21: 11, 13).
Love,
Elder Jewkes
My brother is not a man of many words...so it's good to hear this descriptive account. I love him so much and am so grateful first for technology so we could hear that he was safe, and for Heavenly Father for keeping him and the other Missionaries safe.
9 comments:
Wow! Thanks for sharing his story, I'm glad he is safe and wasn't in the hard hit area. Sounds like his mission president was truly inspired.
What an amazing story from your brother! It is so true that the Lord is so aware of each one of us, most especially his missionaries!!!!
BTW-I'll post a belly pic soon:)
We are so glad Nate is okay. We love your family.
That's really neat, thanks for sharing! I'm so glad he's safe and doing well.
Yikes! I'm so glad he's safe. Thanks for posting this.
That is so scary! I can only imagine what those 2 minutes would be like...especially to be woken up in the night. Thank goodness he was safe & sound!
I am glad your bro is ok- that is so scary! But neat to read his story:)
oh wow! I'm so glad he is safe. It's hard to imagine what that would be like...thankfully I haven't had to experience it..but I know more and more of those types of natural disasters will happen as it gets closer and closer to the Savior coming. Thanks for sharing the story, and his testimony.
that's really neat. i shared his story with my fam-hope that's okay!
Post a Comment