So I need to start planning our trip across the country when we move to Virginia this summer. Erik and I have been batting around a lot of ideas (my idea to go New Orleans got vetoed pretty quickly-apparently a little out of the way!) So we have about 6 days to get from Utah to Va. I cant just drive straight through..i will go crazy so I would like to plan a few fun spots to stop at. No church history though, i have been tortured by those several times.
So...my question is WHERE SHOULD WE STOP?? What are some great places (that are not too out of the way) to hit up? I was thinking Branson and/or St. Louis Missouri, Nashville and/or Memphis Tennessee...and I don't know where else? Has anyone been to these places and would recommend them at all? Give me some more good ideas!!! Where else do we have to stop, what do I have to see? I would love to do an amusement park...but Erik says that is like going to Paris and eating at Mcdonalds...and he thinks it is a waste of money. So...idk? Ok need some tips!! :)
9 comments:
Hi, Nichole & Erik! The ideas I have are pretty limited. It all depends on which Interstate you decide to take. If you go a northern route, you could see Mt. Rushmore. If you go middle of the country, you could do St. Louis and see the arch. Or maybe stop in Branson (i've never been but I've heard it's beautiful). Nashville is great if you're a country music fan... Sorry I'm not much more help since church history is what I pretty much grew up seeing when we traveled cross country as well! :) I'll have to ask Larry and give you guys a call. He'd be all over your request for ideas!!!!
Since we live in Arkansas, we are going to Branson this weekend. But I haven't been there before so I'm not quite sure how it is. We are going to a chinese acrobat show though, so obviously there are quite a few things to do! St. Louis has a six flags I believe. I have always wanted to visit that city!
I think in Vale Colorado there is the Tommy Knockers Root Beer plant you can tour. Also Branson is a bad Vegas show so unless your in to corney out of work singers and magic shows...
Are you guys going to take Route 70? We have made the trek a handful of times. I like to stop at a major city and catch a Major League Baseball game and pretend to be fans of the visiting team :)
Also, Holiday World in Indiana is fun, and I'm PARTICULARLY partial to Kennywood in Pittsburgh, PA.
But if you can afford to go enough out of your way to hit Ohio, you guys should definitely visit Cedar Point - literally the roller coaster capital of the world.
Every year Adam's dad takes Adam's Grandma to Branson for her birthday. Last year a lot of Adam's cousins went and EVERYONE had a great time. We might go with everyone for Thanksgiving. It's sort of the hilly billy's vegas is what I have heard. There are a lot shows you can go to, including some mormon family groups. A lot of singing and dancing type stuff. I think you would really enjoy it.
oh yeah and tell Erik that sometimes when you are in a foreign country you eat out at McDonald's (I'm not just saying that, I have done it multiple times) and it's different in each country! haha. So do the amusement park if you really want to. It will be fun no matter what. Just like McDonald's tastes good no matter what!
If you go through Illinois and Kentucky, you need to visit the Lincoln sites. In Springfield IL there is are homes he lived in as well as the monument and burial site. In KY there is the place where he was born. There is also a place, I believe in Elizabeth towne, where the home where "My Old Kentucky" home is located. I have some books with this informaiton I can share with you. ALso in KY, there is Churchhill Downs - the Kentucky Derby - and Fort Knox. It is beautiful there as well . . . lush and green adn lots of horse farms with white fences. Oh yes, Mammoth Cave is also a must see!
Aunt Connie
You should stop by ATL!!!! SERIOUSLY....we would LOVE to see you guys. We'd show you a good time. It's not exactly on the way, but not as far out of the way as new orleans either!
Post a Comment