Saturday, September 29, 2012

Lu School-A Week

I am trying to teach Lucy more about the letters and the sounds they make. I want to make it fun and allow us to try new crafts, foods and activities. We started with the letter A of course. Don't worry I won't blog every letter. Here is the basic format for the Letter of the Week School.
Day one- Introduce Letter
I went around the house labeling things that begin with A. Then we went on a hunt and collected them all in our "A" box. She has LOVED this with each letter. This is probably her favorite part. 

Then we build the letter using foam pieces. 
This is so Lucy can start to get familar with how you "write"  the letters. 
Same with this dot activity. She LOVES this one as well. Although she isn't always great about actually using the stamper to follow the dots...she goes a little crazy with it, but i'm okay with that too! 

Last we ate some applesauce and some Amish Friendship bread. Yummy! 

Then I have been picking 2 things a week to discovery that start with that letter. On the other days we play general letter games as well as number and color activites. 

For the letter A we picked Airplanes and Apples. 

We read this book

Then we "played" airplane! Lucy packed the essentials, got her ticket, found her seat, said hi to friends on board, we took off, the lovely flight attendant brought around snacks, and we landed. 
It was really fun! I was pleasently surprised how much she got into it. 

Apple Day! 
Apple Sensory Bin! Find the letters! 

Put the number of apples seen on the trunk in the apple tree...this didn't really go well...but she had fun.

I never knew apples had a flower in the center like this! Our apple book told us this! So cool! 

Then we ate our apples...which is a big deal for Lucy Lu! 


Craft time! 

Apple stamp..

Put them on the tree! 

We also tried this activtiy, weaving the worm through the holes whilst counting. FAIL.
Maybe when she is older. 

That's the thing- sometimes these activities take off and she learns and wants to play for hours. Other times she has absolutly no interest! But I figure at least we are trying and exposing her to these activites and we can pull them out later. 

I love the structure, I love crafting and making cute activites, I love playing and teaching Lucy. 
Life is good. 

5 comments:

Lara Vanhille said...

talk about #1 mom!! Seriously you INSPIRE me to stop being lazy and get my butt in gear with teaching Jack more!

Crystal said...

Pinning!

Jenna said...

Love it! What a fun teacher!

Katie said...

You are such a great mom, nice work Nichole! Totally random side note; Are those leaves from the sensory bin real? Those red leaves? They look amazing. I miss Richmond Fall, especially since we get no fall and it's still 100 degrees here. Oh sweet Richmond, we miss you for so many reasons!

Jana said...

ummmmm can I send Lily to your house???? :)