I think you could sum up our 4th of July in two words: HOT & BUSY
We loaded up in the morning to go to the free day at the Botanical Gardens. We have always wanted to go and you can't beat free. So we packed up and met some friends at the gardens.
Will this ever get old? I love it when she wears her sunglasses! We walked around the beautiful gardens until we couldn't stand the heat any longer and headed to the kid splash pad!
Needless to say, Lucy loved it!
She was careful not to get "too" wet but she seemed to have a great time! I think the adults got just as wet trying to watch our kids and take pictures! It was a zoo in there! But who really complained- it felt very refreshing.
Oh look! My friend Kara! :)
Then we ate some lunch and headed to Crump park for a good old fashioned festival.
First stop: The petting zoo.
Lucy LOVED this! I was surprised because a few months back we tried something similar and she showed little interest. But there was a baby goat who hung out by her most the time and she was petting it, poking it, pulling it's horns and it's tail....she had a grand ole time. (not so sure the goat would say the same..)
She kept "mooing" her go- to sound for all moving animals!
We also saw some pig races, and got some ice cream and by then (about an hour later) we had had it, and so had the kiddos! Notice how there were no pictures of me? Uggh..we were SO sweaty and gross. Lucy's hair was dripping by the end. It was pretty much miserable.
So, after naps and the grumpiness from the heat wore off, we topped off the day with a BBQ with friends! We ate some delicious food, played some kickball in the field (by then it has FINALLY cooled down) and ended with playing some games at night- since our fireworks got rained out.
Lucy with all her buddies...plus Will who was running around somewhere!
It wasn't your typical 4th but we still had a blast. We are so grateful to live by so many fun, wonderful people who always show us a good time! Not to mention- how grateful we are to live in this wonderful country...lol..like that segway?
July 5th addition...
We felt robbed that our fireworks got cancelled, (well I did, Erik couldn't care less!) So, when the Shafers called on Tuesday evening and said they were going to go to the fireworks we just couldn't resist! I mean really what's the 4th of July (or the 5th) without fireworks? And these were going to be Lucy's first!
Waiting at Byrd Park downtown for the show to start. They had a full blow band playing patriotic music while we were waiting. It was pretty cool.
oh my- excuse the shine/sweat all over my face!
Even though it was way past her bedtime Lucy was such a good sport and was a really happy girl!
When the fireworks started she at first was clapping and pointing, even "ooohing" a bit. But then after the first few it was like she was saying "are these really going to keep going?" She then started to cry and get nervous so then it was cuddle time! I loved it! I just laid on the blanket and put her on my chest and covered her ears and we just watched the fireworks beaming down on us. It was beautiful! There is nothing like sitting under fireworks as they pour over you. I really get like a magical, giddy little girl feeling. I also really do feel a sense of pride to be American. I guess that's just the emotions fireworks bring out in me. I just sit in awe!
I have to say this show was one of the best I've seen. It was awesome! The finale was impressive. I was so glad we braved the heat and the crowds because it was totally worth it!










1 comment:
Aww! Looks like you guys had tons of fun! And Lucy-Lu loves goats just like Auntie Lauren!! Yay! :) One day when I get a goat, I'll be her favorite "aunt". ;) Can't wait to see you! :D
Post a Comment