Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Diaper Dash

Sorry this is really long, but it's a pretty good story-

If you know me you know I LOVE to get a good deal. Particularly on diapers- I mean those things are so expensive! So when I heard that Babies R' Us was having a "Diaper Dash" I knew what we were doing on Saturday. Yes, yes, I am already using my child to make me money, terrible, I know! Not to mention the free Panda express meal I got "for Lucy" the other day. That was one annoyed Chinese lady...."What your 8 month baby doesn't eat firecracker chicken?"
Anyways, really I didn't think Lucy would have a shot at the crawling competition. She really is not THAT fast and she gets nervous with other people etc. I just thought it would be fun at least for Erik and I (wow I really am a bad parent!)
Well I told Erik and he was So excited! I knew this would be right up his ally. And boy was I right! I came downstairs and Erik was changing Lucy into her sweats to get ready to go. (I was really wishing we had a sweat band for her!) Then he starts "stretching" with her. Moving her legs and everything. Followed by making her practice crawling to him and me. Then I finish getting ready and come back down and Erik is feeding her orange slices, he tells me- "for energy of course!" My husband cracks me up! He made it so fun and we hadn't even gotten there yet!

Then we get in the car and he asks "Where is that old c-d of yours you used to warm up to at your church basketball games?" (embarrassing, i know, but true!) And, even more embarrassing I had it rather handy. So we BLAST "Space Jam" , "We will rock you" and "Man, I feel like a Woman", and by the time we get to the store we are PUMPED and ready to go!

We check her in- go number 17!!!! (such an ugly number but Lucy rocked it!) 

 Our little athlete hanging out at the starting line ready to get the show on the road! So no one showed up for Lucy's heat- there were 5 heats and whoever won those qualified for the championship race. Well all Lucy had to do was cross the finish line since no other babies were there...lame I know, but hey it was good practice!
 
And she's off! I knew me filming would get her to come to me, she loves the camera! 

Yay! For basically showing up we won a $50 gift card to Kiddie Kandids and a $10 gift card to Babies R' Us


 Well once the championship race came along we were way to serious about winning to think about taking pictures or even filming-too big of a risk!  So, unfortunately we don't have any of that documented but let me just say it was hilarious! There was only 3 babies. Each girls, each about the same age as Lucy. So one of the girls was super fast and was quick out of the gate...but lucky for us stopped about 3/4 the way and was just overwhelmed by it all and was looking around, and then turned around! (secret cheers)
 The rules were that that a parent could be at the finish line waving anything they wanted at there baby. Our last min. choice after much debate was a piece of paper- what Baby doesn't love paper!? So you can imagine the chaos and inner turmoil each baby faced. Lucy I am sure was thinking -  "do I go for those keys, or those puffs, or my crazy mother who is waving a piece of paper at me like a mad woman!"  haha!  Well I am proud to say Lucy you Choose the right! Good work girl I knew those Primary songs would pay off! Not to take all the credit but I am pretty sure we won because I was the loudest and most obnoxious of the 3 moms out there. Which not only led Lucy to stay focused on me and crawl towards me, but also made it so the other 2 babies were scared of coming anywhere near the finish line and the crazy lady screaming! (oh the things I will do to win...oh and for free diapers!)
 So awesome! 3 free boxes 96 count...Thank you Huggies! 
 So, naturally what song did we listen to on the way home? You guessed it "We are the Champions" It was a joyous celebration! And what victory would be complete without a delicious milkshake? We are teaching her young- You always reward your workouts with Chocolate! 
I figured since the girl did all the work she deserved a reward better than just name brand diapers on her bottom! What a fun day! 

17 comments:

Hksedwick said...

There are so many things that I love about this post. I can just picture you at the finish line! That is hilarious.

Alicia said...

So stinkin' awesome! GO LUCY!

cookingsherri said...

Woohoo! Go Lucy!

Greg and Jenna said...

I can't believe you are embarrassed by my awesome bball warmup cd. so offended! but awesome tha lucy won!!

i'm jackie. he's doug. said...

What a champion! Well played, Fox fam.

Likeursoperfect said...

That's fantastic! Go Lucy!

P.S. Chik-fil-a milkshakes are TO DIE FOR. She has good taste. ;)

Joel & Megan said...

Oh my goodness this was HILARIOUS!!! Congratulations on winning and getting ALL THOSE DIAPERS! What a steal!!!

Kelsie Thueson said...

Nikki I love this!! SO FUN!! You will have to teach me all about finding good diaper deals when we decide to have a babe! You're right, those things are WAY expensive!

Annica said...

I wish I could have seen that! I heard about the diaper dash but I don't have a baby to enter into it yet. Maybe next year we'll sign up.

Abby said...

Awesome! Way to go, Lucy:)

Peterson Family said...

Ha Ha Nikki I love this! Still the fun woman I know and love! You are such a fun mom! And sounds like Lucy has a fun Daddy too!

Nicki said...

This is hilarious. Way to go, Lucy!

Lauren Simpson said...

I love you guys! Can't wait to see you! :)

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

Way to go Lucy!

Rachael. Ma, United States said...

Oh I think contests are awesome! You should enter more. Lucy is a lucky girl!
I think she will enjoy knowing that she was put into contests and won!

Dallings said...

Wow that was worth reading. You are going to be the best soccer mom ever. At least your team will think so. I love it. That sounded like lots of fun. You guys are awesome.

Claire Allred said...

hilarious....really. Love reading