Sunday, May 30, 2010

Preserving History...

Lucy's umbilical cord fell out 2 days ago...it's still sitting on my nightstand (gross) because I can't decide, to keep or not to keep? So I come to my only true source of knowledge, cyber space.

So....what do you think?

Keep it as a memento?
OR
No way! That's nasty, CHUCK IT!!!

should I be embarrassed that I am even contemplating keeping it? I hope others have at least considered it. If I am the first...then I was just kidding! haha...of course I am going to throw it out! ;)

But really....I don't want to mess this big moment up...what should a mommy do?

21 comments:

Cameron W said...

that is nasty, throw it out. you should be embarrassed. will lucy want to see that in 15 years? probably not. will you want to see that in 15 years? hopefully not.

Alicia said...

Throw it away. Honestly, Lucy is never going to want it and over time, it's going to decay. It's essentially rotting flesh. LOL...

Cami said...

At the hospital the nurse offered to pack the little clip they used to clamp the umbilical cord and I told her to throw it out. She was surprised and said most moms want to keep it in a baby book. Not me! I threw it away and when the cord stump fell off I promptly put it in the garbage. We don't need to keep it. I did write down how old she was when it fell off though. That's preserving the memory enough for us.

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

What would you do with it if you kept it? New age art? Would you keep it in some sort of preservative..alcohol? You are so cute! Once as a 12 yr old I got a really bad sunburn and my back peeled. I put a large piece of skin in my journal. I guess it is kind of like that. Ha!

rach said...

Sick, Nichole.

Aly said...

Yes. You should be embarrassed that you are contemplating keeping it! That is so nasty!

Joel & Megan said...

Just throw it away. I know what you mean because as a Mom it's kind of a big deal, but just throw it away because A LOT more things will happen.

How about for her first hair cut, keep a lock of her hair you cut off. Not as nasty, but still a memento :P

The Fox Family said...

wow! some of you are a bit harsh! sheesh! lol. Ok...I'm embarrassed. Fine I will throw it out! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't neglecting my motherly duties.

Greg and Jenna said...

NAST!

Adam, Annie, Josan and Calvin said...

no big deal if you throw it away...but i kept it and put it in his baby book. If 15 years from now he thinks it s gross he can throw it away himself. My Parents didnt keep a lot of things from when i was a baby and i was pretty sad about that. Just do what YOU wanna do with it. That s the best way to go. But Better safe than sorry i say!

Heidi said...

Ew! Did you save the first poopy diaper? I saved some of Lauren's teeth and tried to give them to her recently and she said "What am I going to do with those?" So when you are trying to decide what to save, and what not to, just think, "If my mother handed me a box of momentos and "this" was in it, what would I think?" When she is 20 she won't care about much of what you save, but if it sentimental to you - keep it. Or better yet, take a photo and do a great scrapbook page!
Auntie Heidi

The Miles Family said...

CHUCK IT!
I remember looking through a friends baby book once & saw a raisen looking thing...when she told me what it was, I almost gagged!

You're a good mom wanting to keep the important things. Locks of hair from her first hair cut won't be so gross to keep! :)

I sure love ya. Thanks for being a good friend the other night. You take good care of me!

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

haha! i'm gross too. i keep them and throw them in their scrapbook. i see nothing wrong with it.:)

Hannah said...

I have kept my kids'! LOL! I'm not planning to put them in the baby book. In fact, I'll probably throw it away eventually, but I hardly think it's gross! Keep whatever you want, and then later if you want to throw it out you can decide then.

Bekah said...

I don't want you to think you are weird. A lot of parents in the NICU keep it. I have never kept my kids cords because they do gross me out.

J said...

I didn't even think of saving it, but I did get a few pictures of it while it was still on Liam and scrapbooked those.

kaysi van dyke fox said...

awww, your are such a good mom!! i can tell you are going to make the best baby books ever!!!! i have no idea what i would do...thats a hard one! i dont think my parents kept mine..if that helps at all! haha

Hksedwick said...

I am going to go with Nasty on that one!! HAHA I love that you posted this. I have a big smile on my face.

Tiffany said...

Never thought about it really. I immediately threw them away, but now I feel like a bad mom for not even considering keeping it. I still don't think I would, but if you want to go for it! I would go with the picture thing. Hopefully you have some pics of it on her, if not maybe take a pic of it?? Let us know what you decide to do. :)

Anonymous said...

I kept Brode's but will probably eventually throw it out. I don't think I kept my other kids though. I think that it is hard to part with anything like that. I have a bag of brode's teeth that he has lost and my husband thought that was gross but I just can't bring myself to throw them away. So i guess that according to most the other people I am gross!

Becky said...

watch "beautician and the beast" and then get back to me. it's an awesome movie and this topic is very briefly discussed. i'm being totally serious--rent the movie :)