Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Calling all Mommies!

Be sure to check out my maternity photo's in the post below! :)

S.O.S!!!! I have questions and I am here to ask the experts for your advice. So it's getting to be crunch time and I finally have to break down and buy some essential items. Here is where you come in. I need opinions/reviews/advice on what's worth having in those first few months and what's not. Also brands that you recommend etc. Spill your secrets Ladies!
So here are some of my specific inquiries, but if you have anything else to add please do! (long comments are welcomed)

1. Diaper pail- needed or not? Brand? Would you buy used?
2. Swing- needed? Small one to put up on counter or large one? Side-side motion a must? used?
3. Rocking chair...is it essential?
4. Bobby-pretty sure it's essential- would you buy used?
5. Baby chair that vibrates (bouncer). Seems really nice- but do I need it and a swing? used?
6. What is your favorite brand of wipes? Cheapest? And wipe warmer-really, seems crazy!
7. Favorite brand of diapers for newborn. cheapest? How many would you say you go through in a month?
8. Bottles....those baggie ones? Avent look good? I dunno?!
9. Binks? Latex vs. Silicone nipples and just best brand?
10. Thermometer- best kind taken at which location?
11. how many crib/bassinet sheets do I really need? What about mattress pad? "saver" pads for crib? What do I need?
12. Nursing pads- disposable or reusable?
13. Are you a nursing bra gal or just go without it? Types of Bras?
14. Monitor- necessary in a small 2 level town home style apartment?
15. Bathtub- the whole big plastic thing or just like a foam type cushion. Where do you find you bathe them normally? Sink or tub?
16. socks on the hands to prevent scratching works just fine right? no little gloves necessary
17. Best bum cream? Desitin? Do I also need baby powder?
18. Best stuff to get stains out of there clothes?
19. What's your favorite kind of baby lotion? (not too pricey please)
20. Favorite baby wash? Most shampoo's are also body washes right? (")
21. What's your take on bumpers? I love mine, what is the SIDS worry?
22. Mobile- or other music thing- what does your baby like?
23. How soon do I have to start clipping there nails?
24. Do i need rubbing alcohol for the umbilical cord or will the hospital give me some? Is that still done?
25. What are some things you found helpful to have for yourself at the hospital. What should I pack, besides the basics? Did you live in the gown...or did you bring your own clothes..and what would you wear?
26. What do I pack for baby? I have heard they have diapers there for her, bottles, binkies? what do they give you to use while you are there and what do you need to bring yourself.

WOW!!! That's a lot! I think everything else I either have or know what I want. If you would like to, you can email me at foxfrenzy@gmail.com if are feeling up to really helping me out and writing a novel! Either way...THANK YOU SO MUCH! I appreciate all and any feedback. As a reward for your help I promise to post pictures of Lucy's completed bedroom before Friday! Yay! haha.

20 comments:

Maria Hoeft said...

*None of my kids took binkies.
*Never used a diaper pail...just bagged them and threw them away outside.
*I use the Huggies at Costco in bulk and the Kirkland wipes there. They work just fine for my boys. Hated Pampers...they sag really quick.
*We had a whole nursery that my kids never slept in...they slept in the bed with us..so we only had two sheets for them....wasteful I know.
*DIdnt breast feed ( have weird feelings about that...lol)
*We bought a monitor...used it hardly. I could hear them from downstairs just fine. Felt better though having them with babysitters.
*used avent bottles...4 oz ones at first then switched to the 9oz.
*we loved our swing. Just a big one...they werent in there too long...just enough for me to wash dishes and such. My boys liked to be held more than anything.
*Bathed boys in sink till they could stand up on their own and then showers from then on out with mommy or daddy. taking baths are gross to me.
*Desitin all the way!
*Used Dreft baby detergent for the first 6months of each kid. OxyClean is awesome.
Johnson & Johnson no tears formula.
*I had them clip the boys nails at the hospital before we went home.
*Hospital give you a bunch of things to help with the cord.
*I have a robe from VS I brought to the hospital...loved it!
*Bring shampoo and conditioner.


HOpe that helps. My boys were really low maintence. They could eat any formula and nothing really bothered them. I didnt breast feed so I cant answer those questions. We used Similac if you decide to switch to formula or if the baby doesnt latch well. We had the baby bijorn thing but my kids got too fat for that too quick...both were 20 pounds by 4 months so they werent in them for long. Yay for you! 3 more weeks to go!!!

She Loves To Make said...

I'm sure it is different for everyone but here are some things that have worked for us....
-I only used pampers swaddler diapers until Charlie was 4 months, then the store was out one day, so I bought Parent Choice brand and liked them just fine. Much cheaper so we go with those now.
-I would absolutely die without my nursing bras. Die. I bought two on sale at Target. They're not Victoria Secret quality but whatever.
-diaper pail we didn't get and I don't regret it
-I didn't think we needed a monitor in our small apt but Tony did. I'm really glad we got them because when I did get sleep it was deep!
-I only bathed Charlie in the sick a couple of times. It's a lot easier in a baby tub where you don't have to support them while washing.
-the hospital told me not to use rubbing alcohol
-I brought new pretty pajamas for the hospital. Some might disagree, but I wanted to look somewhat cute in pictures. Plus I felt better and more refreshed in them. I didn't wear them the day he was born but the following days it was nice to have something comfortable and cute to wear.

Bekah said...

1. Diaper pail- needed or not? Brand? Would you buy used? Not needed. But if you get one, get one that you can use regular bag in, not the genie. It never worked that well. You can just use a trash can and cheap ziploc bags for the smelly diapers, or just take them outside multiple times a day.
2. Swing- needed? Small one to put up on counter or large one? Side-side motion a must? used? Buy used if possible. A good side-to-side swinging one will cost you around $50 used and should work fine. Ours was a MUST have, but it isn't for everyone. I find the travel ones pretty useless. Most babies prefer side-to-side.
3. Rocking chair...is it essential? No, but it makes putting the baby to sleep easier...but then it's one more thing you have to break the baby of later (rocking to sleep) so you can get away without it.
4. Bobby-pretty sure it's essential- would you buy used? I really liked having one, would not buy used. You could make one easily though. Just measure yourself, draw out a pattern, cut, sew, stuff.
5. Baby chair that vibrates (bouncer). Seems really nice- but do I need it and a swing? used? Borrow or buy used, or not at all. One child hated it, one child loved it. You won't know which kind of kid you have right away.
6. What is your favorite brand of wipes? Cheapest? And wipe warmer-really, seems crazy! Huggies wipes worked great, were thick, like them, but more expensive. The only other kids I've used are Kirkland and Babies R Us, both were just fine. Wipes warmer is a huge waste. By the time the wipe is to the baby it has cooled a lot.
7. Favorite brand of diapers for newborn. cheapest? How many would you say you go through in a month? I never got any of the cheap diapers to work well for me (tried grocery generic, target, walmart and loves). I found I used at LEAST one to two more diapers a day with the cheapies so then it negated the savings. I like both pampers and huggies for newborns but loath pampers for kids who are old enough to crawl. They sag like no tomorrow and leaked. For huggies, I actually prefer the lower end ones because they are more absorbent for some reason. For a newborn you will use 8-10 diapers a day, for a baby you will use around 5-7 and for an older toddler (12 months and up, I use just 4-5 diapers a day)
8. Bottles....those baggie ones? Avent look good? I dunno?! Do you plan to breastfeed? If so, don't use Avent. They have a very long nipple that is not as conducive to switching bottle to breast. The playtex drop-ins are good. You can get the wide-mouth Vent Air and you'll not have to buy the baggies to refill, the bottle is very similar.
9. Binks? Latex vs. Silicone nipples and just best brand? Whatever your child will take! LOL! Evan took Nuk's, silicone. Allison took Gerber old-school ones (don't know what they call them but they are round) and liked latex.
10. Thermometer- best kind taken at which location? I would get one especially made for rectal temps that takes the temp in 10 seconds or less. It should be very short so there is no chance you will put it in far. Then you want a thermometer for the armpit that takes less than 10 seconds. Kids hate waiting. Don't buy an ear thermometer until your child is at least 2, their ears are too small to get an accurate reading.
11. how many crib/bassinet sheets do I really need? What about mattress pad? "saver" pads for crib? What do I need? 2-3 sheets is fine. 1 mattress pad, 1 saver pad. If your kid spits up a lot, you'll need more. My kids do not and I always was just fine with having that few. You just wash them as soon as they are dirty so you always have a spare.
12. Nursing pads- disposable or reusable? The only reusable I like are wool, the rest are very bulky and uncomfortable. Disposibles are okay, I like the Lansinoh brand.
13. Are you a nursing bra gal or just go without it? Types of Bras? Nursing bras are easier. I have used Medela.

Bekah said...

14. Monitor- necessary in a small 2 level town home style apartment? I would probably get one since it's 2 levels. But try without and see if you need it before buying.
15. Bathtub- the whole big plastic thing or just like a foam type cushion. Where do you find you bathe them normally? Sink or tub? You could just get one of those bath slings (they sell them at Walmart and Babies R us). And honestly, we just shower with our kids. One of us will get in the shower, hand the baby to the other one, quickly clean the baby, then hand the baby back, and dry/lotion etc. Once they are sitting I like the blow up duck tub, the bottom is non-slip and the sides are soft in case the baby tips over a bit.
16. socks on the hands to prevent scratching works just fine right? no little gloves necessary. I never used them anyway. But if you do buy gloves, one pair is ample.
17. Best bum cream? Desitin? Do I also need baby powder? Baby Powder is a no-no, aspiration risk. You should only need a clear cream unless baby gets a rash. The A&D ointment works great for this and is usually way cheaper than Desitin. Balmex, Desitin, and any zinc ointment are just fine but if baby has a stubborn rash I like the heavy duty Triple Paste or something of the like, and sometimes you need to use over the counter fungal cream for rashes as well (Lotrimin).
18. Best stuff to get stains out of there clothes? Oxyclean works REALLY well on "organic" stains ie. breast milk and baby poo. I also really like the Dual Action kind but can't find it in Nebraska.
19. What's your favorite kind of baby lotion? (not too pricey please). Most aren't worth your time. Lotions are not absorbed well. Go with a cream if your baby really needs it. You should only really bathe your baby 2-3 times a week (and spot clean otherwise) so you only need to really lotion them up 2-3 times a week. I would use a generic Cetaphil lotion, or Aquaphor.
20. Favorite baby wash? Most shampoo's are also body washes right? Johnson's Head to Toe.
21. What's your take on bumpers? I love mine, what is the SIDS worry? I've always used them. Bad me!
22. Mobile- or other music thing- what does your baby like? My kids like them. It would entertain them while I showered! But they are not necessary by any means.
23. How soon do I have to start clipping there nails? Use a file instead of clippers if you are concerned.
24. Do i need rubbing alcohol for the umbilical cord or will the hospital give me some? Is that still done? You will only need it if the cord gets wet. The hospital may have some alcohol pads you can get, ask!
25. What are some things you found helpful to have for yourself at the hospital. What should I pack, besides the basics? Did you live in the gown...or did you bring your own clothes..and what would you wear? I love putting on my OWN Pj's in the hospital Bring things in dark colors, stretchy and easy for nursing. Nursing bra or tank, toiletries, ear plugs (so I can sleep!), magazine/book, all your chargers for phones, cameras, etc.
Flip Flops for the shower, slippers or other slip on shoes.
26. What do I pack for baby? I have heard they have diapers there for her, bottles, binkies? what do they give you to use while you are there and what do you need to bring yourself. In my baby bag I have baby clothes (like them to wear their own clothes) a soft blanket, a pacifier or two of my choice (they will have pacifiers there if you so wish), a slow flow bottle (theirs tend to be very fast flow, not good for a baby you are trying to breast feed!), a few diapers for the journey home, just in case we have to stop, a small bit of lotion, the baby's skin is always dry by the second day, breast pads and shells for myself, and I think that's it.

She Loves To Make said...

Sorry, just thought of some more :)
-I have two crib sheets and that works great
-I brought stuff for Charlie (to the hospital) and didn't use anything except his going home outfit. Everything else they give you (pacifiers, diapers, etc)
-we just used socks on charlie's hands at first.
-when you're in the hospital, ask for extra cans of dermoplast. You'll want some while you're at home!
-have some heavy, heavy pads on hand for when you get home
-and if you're doctor doesn't mention it, ask him about a stool softener for when you're at home
lol hopefully that's not too much info!

J said...

1. Diaper pail- I don't use one, his diapers don't stink yet

2. Swing- a lot of people will say to get one, but I didn't and I don't regret it

3. Rocking chair - I love mine, I don't know if it's really essential though, but certainly nice.

4. Bobby-you could buy a used one and then get your own new slip cover, they're cheap

5. Baby chair that vibrates (bouncer). yes! get one! they're the best, you can get used, but I just got a cheap one at target

6. What is your favorite brand of wipes? Cheapest? I like pampers, I don't know what the cheapest is, but I don't use a wipe warmer and Liam never seems to care about cold wipes, especially now that it's getting warmer

7. Favorite brand of diapers for newborn. cheapest? How many would you say you go through in a month? I like pampers, huggies leaked a lot more for some reason, again, I don't know what's cheapest. For the first few weeks we went through at least 10 a day but now it's slowing down a little, it also depends on how long you're willing to let your baby sit in a dirty diaper and how much she'll complain about it.

8. Bottles....those baggie ones? Avent look good? I don't really know much about bottles, I just got a medela breast pump and bought the medela bottles that went with it, I like them a lot.

9. Binks? Latex vs. Silicone nipples and just best brand? I just kept the one the hospital gave us and that's the only one we need

10. Thermometer- best kind taken at which location? OOOOHHH!!! you HAVE get a Temporal Scaner it scans the temporal artery on the forehead and it's SUPER accurate and doesn't bother Liam at ALL!! I can take his temperature while he's sleeping, awake, crying, anything, it's SO easy!!! I even do it just for fun sometimes because I'm amazed at how easy it is!

11. how many crib/bassinet sheets do I really need? What about mattress pad? "saver" pads for crib? What do I need? I have a tiny little travel crib and only two sheets for it and that's enough.

12. Nursing pads- disposable or reusable? I got these things called lilly pads and they are great! they're sticky rubber and you can use them for about a month, and they just stay on so you can use them with a swimming suit or whatever, they're great!!

13. Are you a nursing bra gal or just go without it? Types of Bras? I got two from motherhood and that's all I need

14. Monitor- necessary in a small 2 level town home style apartment? I just keep Liam in our bedroom so I don't need one, I wouldn't get it unless you're going to have Lucy in another room with the doors closed

J said...

15. Bathtub- the whole big plastic thing or just like a foam type cushion. Where do you find you bathe them normally? Sink or tub? I don't like the sink because I think it's kind of dirty, yuck. So I got a tiny, fold up, portable tub that I love. The brand name is Summer FoldAway Bathtub

16. socks on the hands to prevent scratching works just fine right? no little gloves necessary. ---You don't really need gloves, but I'd get those little long sleeve shirts with hands that fold over, the hospital will have them, but you can buy some in those little packages by Gerber

17. Best bum cream? Desitin? Do I also need baby powder? don't use baby powder because it's not good when they breathe it in, get Desitin, it's the best stuff and I've tried some off brands but they're generally thinner and don't work as well.

18. Best stuff to get stains out of there clothes? that I'd like to know the answer to

19. What's your favorite kind of baby lotion? (not too pricey please) I don't use it

20. Favorite baby wash? Most shampoo's are also body washes right? (") I'm just using up all the random stuff I got from my baby shower, they all work great, especially at this age they don't really get too dirty, so a good rinse is all they really need sometimes

21. What's your take on bumpers? I love mine, what is the SIDS worry? don't have any - I have a portable crib

22. Mobile- or other music thing- what does your baby like? I don't have a crib mobile, I think in their crib they should just have quiet so they can go to sleep, I like the mobile on the bouncer, and Liam seems to like it too, I also got this activity gym with hangy things and Liam loves it!

23. How soon do I have to start clipping there nails?
every baby's nails will grow at slightly different rates, Liam's were too fragile to clip for a few weeks, but some people say they clip them in the hospital

24. Do i need rubbing alcohol for the umbilical cord or will the hospital give me some? Is that still done? no rubbing alcohol, that's old advice and they say not to do that anymore

25. What are some things you found helpful to have for yourself at the hospital. What should I pack, besides the basics? Did you live in the gown...or did you bring your own clothes..and what would you wear? I lived in the gown, and I loved it. I brought pajamas, but never put them on.

26. What do I pack for baby? I have heard they have diapers there for her, bottles, binkies? what do they give you to use while you are there and what do you need to bring yourself. They had EVERYTHING for us, we even took home all the extra diapers and wipes and used them for a few days at home. All I brought was a going home outfit and a blanket for the ride home. Oh, and the carseat.

Hillarys little Paynes said...

*no diaper pail, you'll want to put them in the garage or outside.
*none of my kids would take binkies either.
*I LOVE the pampers in the yellow box for the first 3-5 months, but after that kirkland and kirkland wipes.
* swings are great, I do like the side to side, but best price is what I would go by. ( I am cheap)
*I never used my monitor either, except when I traveled to other peoples big houses.
*Love breast feeding but I will warn you it is hard to do at first. You will want to give up but stick with it, it is so worth it! The type of breast pads you use will depend on how much milk you produce and leak. good luck with that ;)
*Aquaphor is the best diaper rash ointment by far and I swear I am the expert on this one.
*I bite my babies nails off then you wont ever make them bleed. I know I am strange.
*diaper warmer, I am sure is nice but definitely not necessary.
* I think those sponge bath mats are awesome, because the baby wont slip around and you don't have to deal with a baby tub.

J said...

Oh I forgot, I packed a huge bag for the hospital, but this is all I used:

phone, camera, laptop, chargers, toothbrush and toothpaste, makeup, shampoo, conditioner and face soap (their soap isn't that great), going home outfit (no pre-preg clothes, you won't fit into that yet), insurance information (unless you're pre-registered)

I brought snacks, and they came in handy for Pace, but I did just fine on hospital food, they can bring you juice and crackers at 2am if you ask!

I brought games like a card deck, but never found the time, the laptop kept me busy

I WAY over-packed, but I felt better having everything I could possibly need, now I know better for next time :)

Alicia said...

1. Diaper pail- very helpful, keeps the stink down, brand-Diaper Champ because it can use any kind of trash bag, no special bag
2. Swing- Jon slept in his for the first 3 months because he had reflux, got the kind that swung both ways
3. Rocking chair...never used it
4. Bobby-you need to splurge and get the extra padded dwell studio version from target, my old one was too thin
5. Baby chair that vibrates (bouncer). if you have a swing you don't need it, but it is nice to have and move around the house
6. What is your favorite brand of wipes? Huggies wipes, more expensive, but you can make one wipe even clean up the biggest blowout with practice! wipe warmer is a waste
7. Favorite brand of diapers for newborn. whatever is on sale, but I do like Huggies
8. Bottles....Jon only took avent but I am trying Tommy Tipee this time
9. Binks? no latex, you never know about allergies, jon never took a binkie
10. Thermometer- temporal artery scanner taken across forehead
11. how many crib/bassinet sheets do I really need? What about mattress pad? saver pads were awesome!!!! two sheets is all you need in case something happens in the middle of the night
12. Nursing pads- dunno, didn't get to nurse last time
13. Are you a nursing bra gal or just go without it? still trying to figure that out
14. Monitor- necessary in a small 2 level town home style apartment? yeah, Jon's cry is really quiet and I can never hear him
15. Bathtub- a tub is really handy, didn't have one last time and Wade and I always had to bathe Jon together, I'm just not good at it
16. socks on the hands to prevent scratching works just fine right? no little gloves necessary *bingo
17. Best bum cream? Desitin baby powder is nice but not necessary
18. Best stuff to get stains out of there clothes? oxy clean
19. What's your favorite kind of baby lotion? (not too pricey please) whatever's on sale
20. Favorite baby wash? Most shampoo's are also body washes right? also doesn't matter
21. What's your take on bumpers? I love mine, what is the SIDS worry? bumpers are fine, jon needed them, he kept getting stuck in between the bars
22. Mobile- or other music thing- what does your baby like? mobile that can detach and still leave the music box
23. How soon do I have to start clipping there nails? i'd wait a week or so, they're so thin when they're born i accidentally cut jon
24. Do i need rubbing alcohol for the umbilical cord or will the hospital give me some? Is that still done? you don't need alcohol, just cutips and water
25. What are some things you found helpful to have for yourself at the hospital. What should I pack, besides the basics? Did you live in the gown...or did you bring your own clothes..and what would you wear? don't need much, hospital has everything except going home outfit for you
26. What do I pack for baby? I have heard they have diapers there for her, bottles, binkies? what do they give you to use while you are there and what do you need to bring yourself. same as last question

Nicki said...

1.Diaper pail - it's just another thing to have sitting around... just take the diapers outside.
2. Swing- Owen LOVED his swing... took some of his naps in it, I used it for him to sleep upright in when he was sick - we got a small collapsible one and loved it.
4. Boppy - I got mine at Ross for like, 7 bucks
7. Diapers- We used both Huggies and Pampers for newborn, but after that, we definitely preferred Huggies/Costco brand
8. bottles - I liked Avent - the wide mouths made them easy to clean, and their manual breast pump was really good too
9. Favorite binkis - Mam brand... they have different sizes depending on your baby's age and they're cute
12. Nursing pads- I loved the Lansinoh brand disposables
13. Nursing bra - definitely a need, unless you want to completely undress every time. I loved the ones from Motherhood, and they were pretty reasonably priced
15. Bathtub- you'll hate storing the big plastic ones - babies grow too quickly. We used a little foam pad in the bathtub.
17. I used Lansinoh brand, but also found that plain vaseline worked wonders sometimes
18. Best stuff to get stains out of there clothes? OxyClean and a Tide Bleach Pen
20. Favorite baby wash? Lavender ones make them smell really good - especially Johnson&Johnson's bedtime bath wash
23. How soon do I have to start clipping there nails? Right away - get some baby nail clippers... regular are just too big
24. Rubbing alcohol - not done anymore

So excited for you!

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

well, let's see. binky's are a must and it's really what they'll take. 2 of mine took nuks one refused it and i got the other kind. never had a problem with a bumper. diaper pails are nice for poopy bums. monitor a must! nothing needed for umblicial cord. you really only need a take home outfit for baby at the hospital. bathe my boys straight up in the tub with a tiny bit of water. i did use a sponge thing to lay cooper on when first born just to get used to it. i love the normal johnson and johnson baby lotion. smells like genuine baby to me. pampers swaddlers are the best newborn diapers. don't clip their nails for a while because their skin is connected and it'll bleed. i'm sure there's more but those are all the questions i can remember for now. good luck! i know it seems overwhelming but it all comes together.

Tiffany said...

1. Diaper pail-Just used a little garbage can for diapers that weren't stinky and took others outside. Emptied on a daily basis if not more. I always heard that the genies would get really smelly.
2. Swing-Must! I've heard the side to side ones are nice as well as the small versions cuz you can take them everywhere. We have a regular one and definitely used it.
3. Rocking chair...is it essential? Yep! Especially if you have a fussy one!
4. Bobby- (or Boppy??) Definitely nice for newborns and nursing! If you buy used, run it through the wash and get a new cover.
5. Baby chair that vibrates (bouncer). We had one of these too and it was a life-saver! Elsa was super colicky and some days it was the only thing that made her happy and put her to sleep. We tried my sister in laws once and went out and bought it that week!
6. What is your favorite brand of wipes? Always used Kirkland and never needed a warmer.
7. Favorite brand of diapers for newborn. The only ones that really worked were pampers swaddlers and Luvs when she was tiny. She would blow out in anything else. When she got older, we used Kirkland. I heard Huggies work best for boys. You'll have to give them all a try. :) Cheapest diapers have NEVER been worth it to me. You have to end up changing their clothes a million times. When they are younger they blow out, and when they are older, they leak through at night.
8. Bottles-I always used Avent and liked them just fine. If you plan to breastfeed though, stick with it! It's so worth it for the baby and you! Do bottles every once in a while just so she will take them though.
9. Binks? Avent worked for us on this as well.
10. Thermometer-We just bought a temporal therm. not too long ago and love it! You run it across their forehead and it's the one the children's hospital uses. Suppose to be most accurate and is non-invasive and super quick.
11. how many crib/bassinet sheets do I really need? At least 2 or 3 and I loved using a mattress pad-it keeps the mattress clean and provides extra cushion.
12. Nursing pads- I always used disposable by Lansinoh I think, but heard the Lily pads are nice.
13. Are you a nursing bra gal or just go without it? Definitely nursing bra. Bought some at Walmart that were too tight and didn't fit right and got a breast infection. Look into clogged ducts and breast infections and how to avoid them. They are PAINFUL! My favorite one was from a maternity/nursing specialty store. It was not too tight and comfortable, but provided enough support too.
14. Monitor- Never needed one cuz the house was quiet with one child and I could always hear her crying, but maybe see how it goes and you can buy one later if you need it.
15. Bathtub- I heard with the plastic ones, the water gets too cold and they don't look comfy. We just used a little chair thing and this time I bought one of the sponge things. Sink was always too slippery.

Tiffany said...

16. socks on the hands to prevent scratching works just fine right? yep. We bought the little gloves and they just fell off.
17. Best bum cream? Desitin works great and never used powder.
18. Best stuff to get stains out of there clothes? I have yet to find anything but heard Oxy was great (not sure which kind though)
19. What's your favorite kind of baby lotion? Johnson's pink stuff makes you want to eat them!
20. Favorite baby wash? Johnson's
21. What's your take on bumpers? Used one. They say to take it out when they start to move, roll over. I took it out for a time and then put it back in because she would always run into the side of the hard crib.
22. Mobile- or other music thing- what does your baby like? Never used one.
23. How soon do I have to start clipping there nails? At birth a lot of the time. They are usually kind of long and snarly (is that a word?) That's why they scratch themselves sometimes.
24. Do i need rubbing alcohol for the umbilical cord or will the hospital give me some? That's an old thing they use to do. They say to just let it dry out and fall off on it's own. You may have to wipe it down though to clean it. They told me that alcohol causes it to stay on longer and may cause other problems. Her's fell off within a week.
25. What are some things you found helpful to have for yourself at the hospital. I wore the gown until we went home, but I had preeclampsia though so I was hooked to IV's and stuff the whole time and couldn't change. I would bring comfy clothes for sure (don't think you can come home in jeans either. Most people still have a little belly. And jeans are uncomfortable anyway), maybe a robe, and a comfy bra or tank top. Don't forget cameras!
26. What do I pack for baby? Bring an outfit and blanket and carseat, of course. They have diapers, wipes, binkies, bottles, etc.

This was kind of fun! It makes me realize that I need to get my checklist going cuz I only have two weeks!

Sara Lee said...

1. I love my diaper pail. But only because we had a two story and the nursery was upstairs. So it kept me from having to remember to carry them down stairs. But yes you do need to change it about every four to five days and mine is a genie so you push the diapers into a trap door and it hides the smell, until you open it. But now they make ones that use regular bags which would be nice. If you don't have a two story then probably just throw them outside and save some money.

2. I had a small swing but
none of my kids liked it. They loved their vibrating bouncer though and that was only about twenty bucks if you can find a swing that can do it all used get it.

3. I loved rocking my first Benny to sleep every night it was great and something you need to really enjoy cause the more you have the less you rock them. It is definitely something I will treasure forever. I would say go glider or lazy boy because all though the old fashioned wooden ones are gorgeous they slide around unless you have a big enough space to keep it from slowly creeping toward the wall.

6.Huggies cause they are the thick ones not the thin kleenex feeling ones. I think Wal-Mart makes a cheap version but I can't figure out which it is by the boxes.

9. Love that my kids take a pacifier when they are little it helps so much, but it is a pain to break them later. Still I would say if you can get yours to take it do it. Sometimes they like to fight it but you gotta keep trying.

10. We just bought one of the temple reading ones and I love it. When they are little it doesn't bother them much to use the arm ones but after six months it is worth it to get the more expensive one that reads in 5 seconds.

16. never had a problem with scratching. I just kept their nails clipped rounded. But I say socks are a go, don't waste money on gloves they will only use for a couple of weeks.

17. I use plain old vaseline. Doesn't sting and clears up almost all rashes within a few hours.

19. Yes you only need one baby wash for shampoo too. Buy the one that you like the smell of.

24. you don't have rubbing alcohol already it is super handy for lots of stuff.

25. I was fine in the hospital gowns, but definitely pack you some delicious smelling bath was and shampoo cause when you get to take a bath after the baby it is going to feel so good and you are not going to want to use the hospital stuff. I did pack a gown for myself for my last baby and it ended up being nice cause he was in the nicu and I had to walk back and forth.

26. Baby needs one outfit to go home in and maybe one for pictures if you want. Other than that they provide t-shirts for them while you are there which is easy access for testing and stuff. They should give you a aspirator, diapers, wipes, thermometer and formula if needed. But if you are on insurance you may want to ask what they will charge you for.

Christianne said...

To make this short I'll only list the essentials:car seat, boppy, 3 crib sheets, the plastic sheets (just a rectangle to protect your mattress) lots of lysol, diapers I get the walmart brand they are fine and cheap, Costco is good too, Nuks pacifiers, Avent bottles and ISIS pump, Sony baby monitor, baby nail clippers, I LOVE the forehead therm! destitin. Good nursing bras or nursing tanks. Disposible nursing pads. There are some terrible kinds the expensive ones are usually worth it.

A good sling/baby carrier
(You can get a lot of stuff like that at kid to kid. I'd do that then you aren't out a hundred bucks if the baby doesn't like it. TJ MAXX has awesome diaper bags in the purse section.

Everything else you don't need. I had a swing for the 3rd to keep her away from the boys but I didn't need it with 1 or 2.

Krystal said...

I'll leave you a few different pieces of advice since the what to get is kind of covered.
Pacifiers: If you want your baby to use one, buy a few different kinds and see which one your baby likes. Take some of your own to the hospital. The hospital kinds are really hard and not very satisfying for the baby to suck on. I kind of trained all my babies to like pacifiers by popping one in their mouth as soon as they were done nursing and trying to keep it in their mouth as much as possible at first. Babies like to suck and it's good for them and better on a paci than on your sore nips!
If you are planning to nurse, for sure take/ask for some lanolin cream. Put it on as soon as you are done nursing EVERY TIME before you start to feel sore because no matter what, you'll get sore but if you start out with it hopefully you won't get AS sore. And I took my Boppy to the hospital with every kid.
Get a nursing bra, it's worth it--you need access so often, it will ruin a normal bra, or just be really inconvenient.
I like using a tub so I don't have to lean clear over into the tub to bathe my babies.
I like using a monitor so you can see how awake your baby is--if they are really screaming it will show up on the lights and sometimes it's nice to turn it down so you don't really hear the extra noises and only hear them when they cry loud.

Good luck, you'll do great!

Rachel said...

Skip the diaper pail- they will stink up the room they're in, no matter what. Just have some plastic grocery bags to put stinky diapers in and take them right to the garage or outside trash. Swing- some babies like 'em, others don't. 3. you could survive w/o a rocking chair- not essential, but nice to have. 4. never used my boppy- if you're nursing right, then you don't need it. 5. Bouncer is a definite MUST. 6. costco wipes are the BEST- skip the wipes warmer 7. pampers newborns are the best for newborns, i do costco diapers when they get older. You'll need a TON of newborn diapers- you change them at least 6X/day so 180/month. 8. bottles- buy the cheapest ones you can find, just make sure they are BPA free. the baggie ones are a total nuisance and hard to measure right. i buy wal-mart brand. 9. you need to buy a variety of binkies b/c you don't know which your baby will prefer. I would start with Nuks- if that doesn't work, go to MAM. 10. go for a splurge here and buy a digital one- totally worth it in those crazy hours of the night when you need to know a temp. 11. two crib sheets, two bassinet sheets, definitely a mattress pad needed 12. i used disposable pads- the washable ones are so bulky. 13. you will DEFINITELY need a nursing bra- esp. with your first child. and, nursing garment top. 14. monitors are about peace of mind, so get one. and, you can buy used here. they are cheap.15. i love my euro primo bathtub- its the best. you can get them at walmart or babies r us. 16. skip the socks and just trim their nails- wait to see if you need these, most kids don't. 17. don't buy bum cream until you need it, it can be pricey. when you do, def go with aquaphor- it heals everything. 18. I use the spray n wash stain stick, but sometimes things just don't come out when they're babies! i use my bleach pen a lot too. 19. get the cheapest baby lotion you can find- not a big deal here, in my opinion. i use coupons for this. 20. same goes for baby wash. 21. you most definitely need a bumper- their little legs get caught b/w the crib slats. 23. start clipping their nails as soon as they detach from their skin. you'll know when. 24. the hospital should give you some- just ask for little packets. some don't do it anymore though. 25.pack shower stuff and some cozy jammies and comfy clothes to wear home. you might want your own pillow, if you're picky about those things. 26. bring an outfit for her, some blankets, and a binkie, and her carseat, of course. they'll give you diapers and wipes and a binkie if you ask for it- you have to keep them in the hospital onesies and blankets while you're there. and for goodness sake, send that baby off to the nursery in the night so you can rest up, you'll be grateful after you get home! :) hope that helps.

JA and co. said...

I'll start with my biggest piece of advice before answering your questions (keeping in mind that everyone's different). The less baby stuff you have to junk up your house the better...especially since they use the things for a VERY limited time.

1. Diaper pail - not needed.
2. Swing - we didn't have one, but Addie never really needed anything like that...she was a chill baby.
3. Rocking chair - we bought an awesome glider off Craigslist and love it, but not necessary.
4. Boppy - love it...got an old one from a friend.
5. Bouncer - See #2.
6. Wipes - bulk from Sam's.
7. Diapers - Pampers Swaddlers for newborns (though I'm sure offbrand is fine, too).
8. Bottles - didn't use them much.
9. Binky's - Addie couldn't have cared less what we stuck in her mouth, so she loved all types.
10. Thermometer - we just used ours under her armpits.
11. Sheets - 2 work fine for us.
12. Nursing pads - disposable (though I never tried reusable).
13. Nursing bra - I use sports bras because the nursing ones annoyed me and the part you unhook always got wet since she was a messy eater...I hated them.
14. Monitor - not necessary in small spaces unless you're a super heavy sleeper I guess.
15. Bathtub - used the plastic one for a while.
16. Gloves - not necessary.
17. Bum cream - never really had to us it.
18. Stains - Shout.
19. Baby lotion - Johnson's...cheap.
20. Baby wash - Johnson's...cheap :)
21. Bumpers - Supposedly SIDS is caused by breathing too much CO2, so from what I've read they recommend not to have super thick bumpers, and to keep a fan going while they're sleeping to move the air around.
22. Mobile - never used one.
23. Nails - you have to start pretty much right away.
24. Alcohol - the hospital gave us alcohol wipes.
25. Hospital - Laptop for uploading pictures, comfy clothes (I lived in sweats), snacks for you and Erik.
26. Baby - they had diapers, bottles, and binkies at my hospital (though I'm positive they charge for everything in the hospital bill). Make sure you wash ALL of her clothes before she's born. They shrink to a completely different size sometimes.

Hope that helps!

C Tam said...

I haven't taken the time to go through all the comments, so this might be redundant but I'll just say the areas that stand out most to me:
*bouncer AND swing b/c babies like them for different times/stages. You'll use em both, I'm sure though my little guy didn't like the swing much until after the first couple months.
*nursing bras are a must have. I have 2 and wish I had more, because they are constantly getting milk soaked on them so you'll want to wash a lot. And a billion bra pads. And nursing shirts, though I have just made do with three and then made some button up regular blouses work.
*not supposed to use baby lotion in the first couple months is what I have read. Their skin is just so soft anyway, and if you just bathe with gentle cleanser (I use Cetaphil, Dr. recommended) then they shouldn't need lotion.
*my dr. said no alcohol on the cord.
*We had to try a couple types of binkies and he liked one more than the others but overall still didn't like binkies much in the end. So you might just get variety and whatever this baby doesn't use, future kids of yours might like the alternate types?
*I mostly used socks on his hands instead of mittens, but if you care about cuteness (and something tells me you do!) then might get a few pairs of mits for the hands. Their nails grow crazily fast--I was clipping a couple times a week from the very beginning and he STILL found a way to scratch his face right before we wanted to get his photo taken.
*we got a cheapo rocking chair/glider off Craig's list and have REGRETTED it. Go for the most comfortable, quality one you can find, is what I'd do if doing over again. But people might have different ideas on the rocking chair b/c some babies like to be soothed NOT sitting.
*Used items should be fine in most cases, but double-check for recalls.
well, guess that's my 2 cents. Good idea to ask the universe like this. You'll be the most prepared mom ever!