Tuesday, December 1, 2009

In your Dreams

I have discovered I am EXTREMELY picky when it comes to a baby crib. After a lot of research before I was pregnant and researching these past few months I have found the perfect crib. It's beautiful. (this is all assuming I am having a girl) Im in love.Here it from Pottery Barn. It's name is Darcey. awww..

Heres the catch...

Price tag= $999.00

ummmm, YEAH RIGHT!!!! Keep Dreamin Girl!

so sad...maybe in memory of this beauty I will name my first born daughter Darcey. alas.

Has anyone seen anything like this adorable crib anywhere else? Where can I shop besides Babies R us? I am also struggling with the stoller options. Any advice on stroller buys?

19 comments:

Lisa Fox said...

Ahh, yes the PB price is always a dream crusher. I have drooled and oohed over many items from there. Sorry!! You can check out Target, wal-mart, babycenter.com, and then just a google search. Good Luck!

Jackie said...

I second the PB dream crushing! If you want to see cribs in person, you can also check out the Baby Depot at Burlington Coat Factory. You can also go online to get some sweet deals--we ended up buying ours online from Target.com with free shipping.

Cheryl said...

Just get a good, sturdy crib. If I were to do it over again, I would not do white, but I would get natural wood instead. Mine went through 6 kids and 1 repainting, and it needs it again.
As for strollers, go to Target.com and get the stroller frame (just the frame)that you can put the infant seat in--it will fit all kinds of infant seats. http://www.target.com/Kolcraft-Universal-Infant-Seat-Carrier/dp/B001FCM24E/ref=br_1_2?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=13691271&node=13691271&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&searchSize=30&id=Kolcraft%20Universal%20Infant%20Seat%20Carrier Then get an umbrella stroller later. Do not mess with the big ones. They are such a hassle and too expensive for something your child will just crawl out of anyway. There you have it.

Nicki said...

I did a lot of researching online for the baby stuff we bought. I think our both our crib and our stroller/carseat were from Target. I looked at the website consumerreports.org and consumersearch.com to see the ratings on carseats, strollers, etc. and see which one came out the best for quality, safety, etc. Those sites also let you compare prices across different stores. Maybe that's a little bit too much research, but it made me feel a lot more confident about what we bought. :)

Cheryl said...

http://www.target.com/Kolcraft-Universal-Infant-Seat-Carrier/dp/B001FCM24E/ref=br_1_2?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=13691271&node=13691271&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&searchSize=30&id=Kolcraft%20Universal%20Infant%20Seat%20Carrier

Sorry. Here's the real link.

JA and co. said...

Cute crib :). I would actually have to suggest craigslist. We bought ours for a STEAL off of craigslist and it's adorable and looks brand new (the previous owners had only used it on one child). I probably wouldn't go with white either, unless you're dead set on it. It'll show teeth marks a lot easier than natural wood.

As for the stroller, we bought a Combi travel system (also off of craigslist for a steal that had only been used on one kid). It's a really small, light frame that I can open easily and carry under one arm, and it fits really easily into the trunk. I also love that the carseat is small and light...they get HEAVY after a few months so the less chunky they are the better.

We liked the travel system over just the frame because then when they don't need the carseat anymore you still have the stroller seat to put them in and you don't have to buy another one. But it's probably just what you prefer...I know some people really like the umbrella type because they're super small and light.

Sara Lee said...

babies R Us has one similar called South Hampton $350. cymax.com has one that comes with the changing station for $598. I guess it depends on what you liked the most about it and try to find that. Just make sure it is sturdy. After three boys I am going to have to get a new one for the next baby, cause they are rough on it.

Alyssa said...

That sure is an ADORABLE crib!
We got our from Target and I LOVE it because it transitions into a toddler bed. THats really nice becuase when they start sleeping in a "big boy bed" you don't have to buy an new one.
As for strollers I would suggest that if you are at all active and want to take the baby with you on a run then get a jogging stroller traveling system. I LOVE traveling systems because you get a stroller and a carseat. I wish I would have gotten a jogging traveling system because I am DYING for a jogging stroller now.
I can't use the umbrella strollers because I am too tall and I have to hunch over to reach the handles.

dreamkas said...

ask sara about strollers she has my fav :) i would check out burlington coat factory for strollers they carry a big line of them and are usually cheaper than babies r us. if you find one you like check online(amazon!!!) to see if you can order it cheaper!! good luck

Heidi said...

Here is advice from your practical Aunt Heidi. Don't buy too gender specific - you will use this crib for many babies - hopefully a house full of boys and girls. Get good quality so it will last through all those babies and I wouldn't worry about the toddler bed idea because it is quite likely baby#2 will need the crib at the same time your #1 needs a toddler bed and toddler beds are cheaper. (or skip toddler beds all together like I did and just get them a big bed with a railing.)
Happy Hunting

rach said...

Crib: check out stores that carry rejects. Like Downeast Outfitters in Utah--I saw many Pottery Barn cribs in that store for much cheaper.

Stroller: If you want to buy a nice one, and want it to be usable for when you have two kids, and you want it to be durable and lightweight at the same time, Phil and Teds is the only way to go. I went that route--amazing stroller, huge price tag, but worth it if you don't want to get conned into buying a single, then a single jogger, then a double, then a double jogger, AND an umbrella stroller. This one is THE ONE--no need to have other strollers lying around in your garage.

Tiffany said...

Sounds like you have already gotten some good advice! We just have a Graco travel system with car seat and stroller and it worked out great. Since then, I bought a jogger/bike trailer and a McLaren umbrella stroller, which I love now that Elsa's older. As far as the crib, don't spend a lot of money. The kids tear it to pieces anyway...jumping, biting, spilling. We have a black crib, but it looks like crap now cuz she bit into it so much. We'll definitely have to do some re-painting. Good luck with the shopping!

Sara said...

Very cute!!! I love our crib and we got it at USA Baby. It is antique white with the bead board in the back. USA Baby is kinda expensive- we spent more on that crib than any of our other furniture in our whole house!... but considering how many babies we keep poppin' out I think it was definitely a good investment! Strollers I really like my Graco travel system. It is just a middle of the line stroller not the cheap one but not super expensive. It's light and turns easy which is super nice. Anyway, let me know if you have any questions and good luck on your quest!!!

Shannon said...

I've got to agree with Heidi, Nik! (I bet your mom told you the same thing, huh?!? lol! Listen to them... I didn't on several things and ended up wasting money!) Just get a nice, sturdy, gender neutral crib. Also, aren't you at garage sale heaven out there? You've got time... wait until spring and hit the garage sales. I'm sure you'll find a great one for a fabulous deal! (I would get a new mattress for it though.) I also second the craigslist idea. I have known many people who got great deals there! Good luck!

joshandemily said...

Isn't it funny that by the time we can afford stuff like that our kids won't need it anymore! I love Lydia's crib-Burlington (we got a matching dresser on one of their sales). Strollers-the stroller frame/umbrella later idea sounds awesome. I would do that if I had to do it over. Good Luck!

C Tam said...

My baby has laid in his crib one time in his whole life...we found he sleeps a lot better in his bouncer. So if it is any reassurance for the budget, you might not have to splurge on a crib until your kid is a few months old. Heck, they would probably even look cute sleeping in a laundry basket.

Jake and Emily Hutchings Family said...

i got mine at kmart. $99. works great! stroller--just get a snap and go. super cheap and really all you need for the first year. i promise.

The Allred Family said...

girl...you are high maintnenance! ALL of my stuff (even strollers) is from garage sales! :) and i love it all!

Rachel (Borup) Johnston said...

wow! this was very helpful for me too! there are just too many options. where do we start? well...this was a good start