Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Terrible Two's Already?

In the last week Lucy has had 2 grocery store meltdowns. These are really the first ever and if it's a sample of what's to come we are in trouble!

I gave her a mini Elmo Balloon to hold while we got the 2 things we needed in the grocery store. I even let her walk. Well when it was time to say "buh bye" to Elmo she flipped! I mean full out, fall to the ground (ew), kicking and screaming while I am checking out. It was awesome.

Today at Target it was one thing after another!
Freaking out about sitting in the cart unless she had a snack in her hands
Taking her shoes off, wanting them back on, then taking them off again
Freaking out loading her in and out of her car seat
Reaching and pulling at the clothes racks
Falling out of the cart- I caught her upside down by her arms! (scared me to death)
When I let her out for a break she pushed the cart all over and wandered away
So back in the cart (buckled)- screaming at the top of her lungs through the store.

I got so many looks. Many out of pity. One woman said "hang in there!"- which was appreciated

So besides not taking her at all (which I do avoid) what are your tricks Mom's? I don't like just pumping her with sugar because it makes her even worse and ruins her appetite. I know I shouldn't let her hold a toy from the store then make her put it back (learned that with the balloon). I hate taking her in and out of the cart but what do I do when she is screaming and crying like crazy!? Help! No smart phone games suggestions- no smart phone here. I know so deprived!

Maybe this was all a fluke and she will start being good again, but I'm started to doubt that. So I need some major advice!

Oh and apparently food is where I  find comfort because in my frustration I bought cheese puffs. Yep that whole big tub of them. I immediately regretted it and am disgusted with myself! So if anyone wants some cheese puffs, please come take them off my hands. It was a moment of great distress and weakness! ;)

10 comments:

She Loves The Color Pink said...

Oh yes, I have been through this. It's so embarrassing when everyone is staring and you're trying to remain calm! I tell Charlie he has two options: he can on his bottom in the cart or buckled in the seat (he loves to sit in the cart) If he starts throwing a fit, trying to get out of the cart...he has to go in the seat, buckled. Lots of fits thrown but he has finally figured it out! Decide what you want to do and then be consistent. It's so hard!

Shanna Selin said...

This made me laugh because Calvin does the same thing. One thing that helps me is bringing a stroller instead of a cart.

Connie said...

Re-read you next post . . . when you said she is so good . . . Isn't it fun being a mom? Believe me, it gets easier and you don't worry so much as you have more!!!

Alicia said...

We have full blown time out right in the middle of the store, right there on the floor or in the corner. I get strange looks, but I don't back down at all and now we rarely have those freak outs in the store! (And I'm talking you don't get up. period. until you can be happy.)

Jackie said...

I need help too! But here are a few things I've noticed:
- I always bring a snack like goldfish or pretzels... something she can't eat too fast
- Don't browse too much or we'll take too long in the store, and she'll lose it
- She has to stay in the cart unless Dad is with us

I also try to involve her by letting her hold the list or by having her help me point something out. But really, the whole thing is exhausting. Just drop her off at my house next time you need to go out!

Unknown said...

No choices with my kids when it comes to sitting in the cart buckled (when they were little). There will be screaming but if you don't compromise she will figure out that she has no choice. Not only is it difficult to have them running around the store it can be dangerous. I learned this when I lost my oldest when she was two. She just took off and some man found her OUTSIDE the mall trying to get back inside (she was strong enough to push the door open to get out but not strong enough to pull it open to get back in). I count that as one of my top scariest parenting experiences. After that is when I really was able to stick to my guns about being in the cart and buckled. Sitting in the basket part can be really scary too. I had a store clerk tell me once that she saw a child fall over the side and crack their head. Tolerating some screaming a few times is necessary for your sanity and your childs safety.

P.S. Sorry this is so long and maybe sounds like a lecture. It's not intended to be that way. :) Also, our Target gives stickers for a free popcorn to kids they see sitting in the cart buckled. Check if any stores near you do something like that.

Mindy and Larry said...

Hang in there, Nichole! James was difficult. Johnny is already doing a lot of what Lucy is doing! I despise shopping with Johnny, right now! Just remember to BE CONSISTENT. Do what you say you're going to do. Lucy is very very bright and she is testing you and is trying to see where her limits are. The growing pains hurt. When I was a teacher, it was easy to be consistent. When I became a mother, I saw how hard it was for me to be consistent 24/7 with a child I adored and loved. It's hard to be firm and discipline the little babies we so love! But hang in there. Consult your mom often (I'm sure you do!) From what I know of her, she's good with this kind of thing, and I'm sure she's got lots of tricks up her sleeve, too! Happy mothering!

Jenna said...

Take comfort in knowing every parent has been there! At the grocery store I let Siena have paper and a crayon (maybe pen!) to have her own 'list' to cross off. Sometimes we bring a little snack- usually grapes- or, if it is going to be a long trip I just let her eat her entire lunch haha. I let her help me find things- produce she recognizes, etc. If we're at Target I get the things I need first and then sometimes take a little time to wander around things she'd find interesting- the holiday displays, etc. As she is now a little older she is actually really good if I let her walk beside the cart sometimes. Good luck, it'll get better!

Lisa Fox said...

Just like many others have said, we've all been there and some days are better than others. IF you can try not to go during lunch or nap time..melt downs are more likely to happen then. I am a big go in the cart no exceptions. I have had a child fall out of the basket it was awful..( it was Genna) I try to bring a snack,drink or book. I also like to bring coupons that I wont use and they have to hold them and look for the item. I have also done the paper and crayon trick. Mostly I try to get in and get out and now a days I go at night when Brett is home. Good luck and I promise they do get better..but then they turn 3! hahaha

Joel & Megan said...

I wish I could say I had a suggestion, but I don't. :P My kid did it too and it's like once they hit three a switch goes on and it's much easier to go grocery shopping. It's just the age of the Terrible Twos. I saw go at a time where you that Lucy is at her BEST (like right after she ate, nap etc.) and she can hold a snack etc and if things start to go Sour...GET OUT OF THERE. :P :P :P Hang in there. Hopefully it will get better.