Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dating Again

Since Lucy was born we really haven't gone on many dates (i know crazy-a whole year!) I could probably count on one hand the number of official dates we have been on. And the odd thing is we hadn't really even noticed or realized it until a few weeks ago. We both really enjoy staying at home on the weekends catching up on our shows or playing games with our neighbors, so I guess we just really haven't felt the need. When we do something fun or go to dinner we usually just take Lucy with us because she is really pretty good about it. 
Well like I said we just realized the other week that we should probably start going on actual dates again. Our church councils us to go on dates with your spouse often and we both have just felt like it would be really good for us lately. So we (mainly me) decided that if we were going to do this we should be all cute about asking and stuff. We decided that we would take turns planning a date and we would make it a surprise. So Erik volunteered to start us off.


So Friday afternoon rolled around and I was downstairs on my computer and he was upstairs and all of the sudden I get a text asking if I was free tonight. I seriously got butterflies. I was so got off guard and I just felt like I was in h.s. again. It was really weird. Anyway so we exchanged a few cheesy texts and then he told me to check my email and this is what it said: 


Wear exercise clothes not a dress,
Bring your bathing suit not your jeans.
Still need help to make a guess,
See 1 Nephi 21, verse sixteen.



So clever hey? So i grabbed a BOM and it was something about a wall and hands...engraven...idk. So then it left me guessing all evening on what we might be doing. Which made it 10 times more fun. 


We ended up going to the VCU gym. (which is brand new and way sweet) We climbed their rock wall something Erik had never done and I hadn't done in a really long time. It was really fun. I was kinda of scared, but I climbed all the way to the top finally...i was so proud of myself! And then we hung out in the pool which even has a slide, hot tub and a lazy river/ whirlpool thing. It was awesome!
 
These pictures of the gym will have to do since Erik was a little embarrassed at the idea of me taking pictures.



We had such a fun night and we didn't even talk about Lucy once! I was so surprised at all that we had to talk about! lol. Anyway- I am a huge fan of dating and would recommend it. It has made our week as a couple soo much better. We flirted more, were happier with each other, I just felt like it was easier to see the good in each other because we had spent quality, good time together. You know what I mean? I can definitely see why the church leaders recommend it!  There is just something about going out. It was a simple date, but I loved it! I can't wait for our next date. Any cheap date ideas for me? 



4 comments:

Hksedwick said...

What a fun night! I will have to keep this in mind

Alicia said...

Great idea...we'll probably have to steal this!

Lisa said...

One of the crafty blogs I read just did a post on dating your spouse too...She gave a ton of ideas of conversation starters...though you did say you didn't have trouble with that, I thought I'd share anyway some of them are really interesting.
http://www.theidearoom.net/2011/06/date-your-husband-let-me-start-the-conversation-for-you.html

Abby said...

That looks so fun! We are about 3 hours away from Richmond now - we'll have to stop by and see you guys next time we're driving up that way!